Another all-Italian excellence arrives: the National Doctorate in Artificial Intelligence is born , the first in the whole country. A technological challenge whose objective is to train new researchers in the field of AI at the service of health, industry and society. The doctorate wants to fit into the flow of innovation brought about by the digital transformation that Italy is experiencing, exploiting artificial intelligence in the production and scientific sectors.
The National Doctorate in Artificial Intelligence
AI is now an integral part of our life and it is essential that research is always in step with the times of innovation. With this premise, the National Doctorate in Artificial Intelligence was born, wanted by the multi-specialized institute COT of Messina and by the National Research Council. Several Italian universities will also collaborate with them, including the university of the Sicilian city. The project aims to promote the coordination of technological research in Italy , overcoming fragmentation to compete with the various European and international initiatives.
The doctorate will offer 5 different specializations, differentiated by the field of study addressed:
- IA for health and life sciences , led by the Campus Bio-Medico University of Rome. The branch will deal with it to deepen the use of AI in the medical field, working on the integration of IoT and biorobotic systems in medicine. The will is to improve the search for cures and the prevention of diseases by exploiting increasingly precise computational models and organ-on-chips ;
- IA for agriculture and the environment , which will be dealt with by the University of Naples Federico II. Artificial intelligence can be instrumental in predicting any weather events or infestations, defining the best strategy to adopt to preserve the crop. The traceability of the agricultural supply chain and the health of food itself would also benefit from this, protecting the market from food fraud through the use of biosensors ;
- AI for security and cybersecurity , managed by the Sapienza University of Rome. With digitalization that has also entered strongly in our country, it is essential to have the right tools to protect applications and data. In particular, automatic learning techniques become fundamental for detecting anomalies and attacks;
- AI for industry 4.0 , of which the lead university will be the Polytechnic of Turin. Industrial systems have become interconnected, collaborative and able to interact better and better with each other. Machine learning, computer vision and natural language processing are just some of the aspects that can be studied in depth to improve the Italian industry and ensure its ever greater development;
- AI for society , which the University of Pisa will take care of. The aim of this area will be the study of social and economic phenomena. These include migrations to and from cities, social dynamics, the fabric of opinions and their nature. The goal is to introduce the set of ethical values shared by the population in artificial intelligence systems in order to guarantee well-being to society.
The numbers of the doctorate
The aim of the project is to train 100 doctoral students per year , divided between the 5 fields of specialization. In support of each course there will be as many consortia formed by various universities, in addition to the leading ones, and research bodies. The first cycle will start as early as this autumn and will last until 2024. The second, on the other hand, will start in 2022 and will end in 2025. In total, 55 universities will be involved. There are currently 225 scholarships available.
This project is the culmination of a long process of relationship, research and comparison. What characterizes this project in particular is the direct impact on the National Health Service which aims to generate, in terms of reduction of passive mobility, enhancement of human capital, also through the mutual access of personnel and research groups for participation. activities, and on the innovation ecosystem; at the same time, an indirect impact on the entrepreneurial system is expected, through the implementation of paths of excellence in prevention, diagnostic-therapeutic and rehabilitation, in the thematic areas concerning cellular, molecular and genetic mechanisms of pathophysiological processes, applications of basic research in the field preventive and therapeutic diagnostics, epidemiology, neuroscience, biomedical engineering, rare diseases and biomathematics
Flavio Corpina, managing director of COT
The article The National Doctorate in Artificial Intelligence is born comes from Tech CuE | Close-up Engineering .