With 40 cores and 80 threads, this third-generation Xeon processor for the server side once again brings us an unprecedented performance experience.
As the industry’s only data center processor with built-in artificial intelligence acceleration, its average performance on mainstream data center workloads has jumped by 46% compared to previous generation products, and it also has applications in AI, cloud computing, Internet of Things and 5G. 50% to 74% improvement.
Intel launched a brand-new data center platform at the new Xeon product launch conference held in Beijing Shougang Park on April 7th.
It also launched a series of software and hardware product portfolios based on the third-generation Xeon processor, including Intel Optane persistent memory 200 series, Intel Optane solid-state drive P5800X and Intel D5-P5316 NAND solid-state drive, and Intel Ethernet 800 Series adapters, the latest Intel Agilex FPGA and optimized software solutions. This series of new products can provide powerful performance and workload optimization for hybrid cloud, high-performance computing, networking and intelligent edge applications.
Is "Xeon" strong or not?
Unlike consumer processors, Xeon is a high-performance processor designed by Intel for enterprise servers and workstations. It has a richer instruction set and supports more concurrent connections. It is better in multi-threaded running scenarios. Performance.
From the first release in 2017 to the present, Intel’s Xeon processors are getting stronger and faster, and iterating faster and faster. The Ice Lake released this time is designed for single-socket and two-socket servers. The Cooper Lake designed by Road Server is less than a year apart, and it is a new generation of products that can truly replace Sky Lake.
From the perspective of architecture, the third-generation Intel Xeon Scalable processor is based on the Sunny Cove CPU microarchitecture in 2018. It aims to improve the computing performance per clock and reduce power consumption under general computing tasks, and includes accelerating artificial intelligence and The new function of encryption.
The functional characteristics of this micro-architecture include:
- Enhanced micro-architecture allows more operations to be performed in parallel.
- New algorithm to reduce latency.
- Increasing the size of critical buffers and caches can optimize data-centric workloads.
- Architectural extensions for specific use cases and algorithms.
In short, it can reduce latency, improve data throughput, and have higher parallel computing capabilities, which greatly improves the data-centric application experience. Compared with the previous Sky Lake micro-architecture, IPC can be increased by 18%.
And the improvement of this chip is not only here:
Using the latest 10nm process, each third-generation Intel Xeon Scalable processor chip can provide up to 40 cores, and the performance is 2.65 times higher than that of a system that has been deployed for five years. The platform can support up to 6TB system memory per slot, up to 8 DDR4-3200 memory channels and 64 fourth-generation PCIe channels.
The new product portfolio is also optimized for modern workloads running in local and distributed multi-cloud environments. Thanks to decades of continuous innovation, the processor can provide customers with a flexible architecture with built-in acceleration and advanced security features.
- Built-in artificial intelligence acceleration: With the artificial intelligence performance, productivity and simplicity provided by the new third-generation Intel Xeon Scalable processors, customers can gain more valuable insights from data. As the industry's only data center CPU with built-in artificial intelligence acceleration and extensive software optimization and overall solutions, this processor enables artificial intelligence to be integrated into every application from the edge to the network to the cloud. Compared with the previous generation of products, the new hardware and software optimization can provide up to 74% of artificial intelligence acceleration. In addition, the product can show up to 1.5 times the performance advantage of AMD EPYC 7763 on 20 mainstream artificial intelligence workloads, and up to 1.3 times the performance advantage of NVIDIA A100 GPU.
- Built-in security: Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) has continuously enhanced security capabilities, and has passed hundreds of surveys and production deployments to make the attack surface within the system smaller to protect sensitive code and data. This technology is currently applied to two Xeon scalable processors, and its designated address space can isolate and process up to 1TB of code and data, which can meet the needs of mainstream workloads. Combined with Intel® All Memory Confidential Technology and Intel® Platform Firmware Resilient Technology, the new Xeon Scalable processor can solve the most pressing data protection issues in the world today.
- Built-in cryptographic operation hardware acceleration: Intel's cryptographic operation hardware acceleration provides breakthrough performance for many important encryption algorithms. Companies running encryption-intensive workloads—such as online retailers that process millions of customer transactions every day—can use this feature to protect customer data without affecting user response time or overall system performance.
In addition, in order to accelerate the processing of workloads on the third-generation Xeon scalable platform, software developers can use oneAPI open cross-architecture programming to optimize their applications, thereby avoiding the technical and economic burden of proprietary models. The Intel® oneAPI toolkit helps achieve the processor’s superior performance, artificial intelligence, and encryption capabilities through advanced compilers, libraries, and analysis and debugging tools.
Intel has long been more than a chip company
Since 2020, the new crown epidemic has swept the world, and many traditional companies have faced the severe test of suspension. Companies that have already deployed digital transformation and cloud migration have continued to operate online, and even many areas based on the online economy have ushered in a new round of Development peaks, such as online entertainment, online education, telecommuting…In short, as a modern enterprise, it is inseparable from digitalization, and traditional enterprises will also face digital transformation.
In such a data era, the total amount of global data is rapidly increasing. It is estimated that the global data volume will increase to 175 ZB in 2025. To use so much data efficiently and on a large scale, humans need to integrate edge computing, cloud computing, artificial intelligence and other technologies to make them work together.
According to the "Big Data White Paper (2019)" issued by the China Academy of Information and Communications Technology, big data will generate a global market worth 56 billion U.S. dollars. With the limited computing power of a single chip, "how to better utilize the true value of massive data" has become a new challenge for us.
Intel’s solution is a strategy of shifting from CPU to XPU, shifting the focus from a single CPU to a combination of multiple architectures across CPU, GPU, ASIC, and FPGA, which is called XPU heterogeneity. Up to now, Intel has completed the full coverage of these four computing types of chips, becoming the only supplier of complete cross-type computing solutions so far.
Intel’s CEO Pat Kissinger wrote in his first open letter after taking office:
Intel is the only semiconductor company with extensive and profound strength in smart chips, platforms, software, architecture, design, manufacturing, and scale. Our customers need to fully seize these opportunities to drive their next-generation innovations.
Unconsciously, Intel is no longer just a chip company. Its six technological strategies, packaging, architecture, storage, interconnection, security, and software, enable Intel to continue to lead the development of the industry in the next new era.
In recent years, Intel has also changed from traditional IDM to modern and more flexible IDM 2.0:
Intel's global internal factory network for large-scale manufacturing, which can achieve continuously optimized products, higher economic efficiency and more resilient supply capabilities, is Intel's key competitive advantage.
Kissinger reiterated that Intel hopes to continue producing most of its products internally. In addition to process innovation, Intel's leadership in packaging technology is also an important differentiating factor. This enables Intel to deliver unique and customized products by encapsulating multiple IPs or chips in a pervasive computing world to meet the diverse needs of customers.
Intel hopes to further strengthen its cooperation with third-party foundries, and they have now produced a series of Intel technologies, from communications, connectivity to graphics and chipsets. Kissinger said that he expects Intel’s cooperation with third-party foundries will continue to expand, covering the production of a series of modular chips with advanced process technology, including the production of core computing products for Intel’s client and data center departments from 2023. This will optimize Intel’s roadmap in terms of cost, performance, schedule, and supply, bringing greater flexibility, greater production capacity, and creating a unique competitive advantage for Intel.
Build a world-class foundry business-Intel Foundry Services (IFS). Intel announced related plans to become a major provider of foundry production capacity, starting in the United States and Europe to meet the huge global demand for semiconductor production. The difference between the IFS division and other foundry services is that it combines leading process and packaging technologies, delivers promised capacity in the United States and Europe, and supports the production of x86 cores, ARM and RISC-V ecosystem IP, thereby Deliver a world-class IP portfolio to customers. Kissinger pointed out that Intel's foundry program has received enthusiastic support from the industry.
#Welcome to follow Aifaner's official WeChat account: Aifaner (WeChat ID: ifanr), more exciting content will be provided to you as soon as possible.