Android phones are the most commonly used phones in this modern era and an estimate of the usage of Android phones is 84.1%, while the rest are only used for 15.9%. This difference is due to various reasons. Chief among them is that iOS is much more expensive than Android phones and most people can't afford it. Being the main reason users choose Android, it is difficult for people to replace an Android phone often, and it is better to find out and troubleshoot than to replace it. But a question arises: what are the reliable tools ? And before talking about protection we need to know: what protection are we talking about and against what? Obviously against malware and malicious software.
How can you know if your Android is affected?
You need to be aware of whether your phone has any malicious software or not. An Android phone can show several unwanted changes if it is affected by malicious software. If the device "behaves" in a strange way it means that it has some malware and security problems. For example it may show some unnecessary data or, conversely, you may lose your data immediately. The charge level of the phone can also vary: it can immediately go to 100% or it can drain for no reason from 79% to 15%. But the worst that malware can do is delete data without your permission or even download it. The software can send spam or SMS and a number of other operations. If you notice any strange changes, beware of malicious software.
How did I protect my Android phone?
Once we learn that the phone can be affected by malicious software, let's head to the main goal, which is the protection of the Android phone. Here are some ways I applied to protect my Android from malware .
The first step is to remove the apps that are causing the problems on the Android . Not sure which app is actually causing problems? As for Facebook, Instagram, and other similar apps, you are pretty sure of their safety, but some apps like games, PDF downloaders, and others can be suspicious. To detect if they have problems you need to download other applications that can do these checks. There are a number of such apps available, such as HOTSPOT SHIELD, and others. The most effective way to search for malicious software on your Android, though, is to check it from the Google Play Store:
- go to the Google Play Store on your Android phone;
- click the menu button in the upper left corner;
- as soon as you click on the menu button you will see a list of some options. Among these options, choose the Google Play to protect which appears in the eighth position of the list;
- Tap the Scan button to scan apps. Then the scan result will be shown;
- if you find an infected or dangerous app you must delete it immediately. It is best to only use apps that have already been verified by Google Play Protect;
- your phone should always be protected from incoming malicious software as well . Before you download an app, before opening an SMS, before clicking on junk, and before signing up for a website, you should check for infected files. To do this, the phone must always have anti-virus software. There are hundreds of antivirus software on the market to provide a healthier and safer Android. The problem, however, is that antivirus software can itself be a virus that we generally refer to as trojans (a virus that hides itself as a useful program). Therefore, you should also check your anti-virus software before installing it;
- you must read the privacy terms carefully before downloading or installing the software. Another way is to read the comments or reviews about the antivirus to know what changes it has actually made to their Android. Don't forget to write a review yourself when you have used it;
- the most important thing to keep in mind is that you need to have the latest version of a particular antivirus software . Why the latest version? Viruses are updated continuously, as are antiviruses. So if you are not using the latest version, no matter how suitable your software is, it will still not be able to detect the latest viruses. Never forget to update your antivirus software;
- you should never click on suspicious links in emails and SMS and provide your personal information on any website without knowing the appropriate details. If you receive a file from an unknown or suspicious person, do not download it to your Android. Don't open junk mail;
- the password is the main element for your privacy . This shouldn't be easily guessed. You may have your sensitive information on your smartphone such as pictures, personal chats, and phone numbers. Hackers are always looking for this information, so to limit their access to your Android you need to define a password, which must be complex. Here are some tricks to improve your password so that it's harder to guess:
- the password must not contain your name;
- the password should not contain easily guessed numbers such as your phone number, date of birth, home address, or other predictable numerical data . Also it shouldn't use continuous numbers like 12345 or 678 etc…;
- the password should contain some special characters like @, * or #, etc …
The article How did I protect my Android phone once and for all? comes from Tech CuE | Close-up Engineering .